November 21, 2022 Julia Haberecht
Attention baking clubs
A bakehouse for your village
Back to the roots is on everyone's lips. The current crises in the world show that it makes sense to go back to the roots, at least in some areas. Strengthening the community in the immediate vicinity, because cohesion also means security in case of unexpected events. The topics of village community, village life, village development are important. Many villages want to go back to the bakehouse, organise baking days and build up or expand a community life. Often there are still old dilapidated or neglected bakehouses. These are jewels that can often be revived with united strength. And we explain how this can be done
1st possibility: An old bakehouse is available
If there is an old bakery in your village that is worth restoring, and if there is an association with many helping hands, then the conditions are good. Once the ownership situation has been clarified, you will need expert guidance or ambitious hobby craftsmen and the funds for the materials. Often stones have to be replaced. And don't forget: the chimney sweep must approve the fireplace. More on the funding opportunities for bakehouses and bakehouse associations below.
Option 2: An association wants to build a bakehouse
We receive enquiries from associations all over Germany who would like to build baking houses. We have wooden baking oven kits in various sizes and shapes. They are an inexpensive way to build a high-quality oven on your own. At the beginning, of course, there are basic questions:
- How should the oven be fired? Gas or wood?
- Where will it be placed? Indoors or outdoors?
- How big should the stove be? Anything is possible, from 100 cm in diameter to 120 cm x 160 cm.
- What surface area is available? What are the environmental conditions? Free plot of land or listed timber-framed building next door?
Our kits come from Italy, are produced and manufactured there. No goods from China. Our supplier Valoriani uses only the best raw materials, the composition of the fireclay bricks and dome parts is a secret recipe handed down over generations. This quality and craftsmanship is the great advantage. We recommend and supply the perfect insulation material and expert personal advice. Furthermore, we offer various services.
- You can collect the stove with accessories from us on site and assemble it yourself. Depending on the shape and size of the stove, you will need to build a stable base for it.
- You live too far away and would like to assemble the stove yourself, but it has to be delivered. No problem. We will send you the stove by forwarding agent at an agreed date and time.
- You need professional help to assemble the stove. We also offer the assembly of our stoves. Contact us and we will clarify the details.
- It is also possible to book a cook through us after the oven has been set up, who will go through the first steps of operating the oven with you or who will provide support at the first bakehouse party. Just get in touch with us.
Funding opportunities: Financing a bakehouse as an association
There are several ways to finance a bakehouse. Many associations have sufficient expert and financial reserves to purchase the oven and build it themselves. In addition, there are of course possibilities such as collecting donations for the bakehouse, organising festivals or even using subsidies. This path is associated with some effort. But there is a good overview page where you can search for funding programmes using keywords. A distinction is made between regional funding opportunities of the federal states and European funding. The closer the donor, the easier it is to apply. It is easier to obtain municipal or Land funding than to get money from a European funding pot. But it can be interesting if the project is of a certain size. Here is the link to the database to search for funding opportunities: Funding database of the Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology.